BUMC Church Organist Announcement
Approximate Start Date: June 1, 2023 (or sooner if available) Posting Date: January 27, 2023
Position Title: Church Organist
Reports to: Director of Music and Worship Arts (DMWA)
Applications Due: March 15, 2023
Position: Barrington United Methodist Church (BUMC), a large, dynamic United Methodist congregation, is seeking a faith-based part-time organist/accompanist with experience in a range of musical styles.
Purpose: The Music Ministry serves as an instrument of inspiration for congregation members on their journeys of faith.
The Organist is an integral member of the Music Ministry, contributing to the growth and vitality of the church. This staff member shall, through personal example, exemplary teamwork and nurturing leadership, contribute to excellent and dynamic worship experiences for our members, constituents and visitors. The Organist works with music staff, laity and other staff members to lead BUMC in fulfilling its mission of Building a Community to Worship God and Create Disciples to Serve All People, as well as the mission of The United Methodist Church to Make Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World.
The primary responsibility of the Organist is to create vibrant worship experiences through organ and piano performance and accompaniment. The organist plays, with excellence, organ and piano music at traditional worship services, weddings (including rehearsals as necessary), funerals and other services.
- Select and perform service music (typically the prelude, offertory, and postlude) during two Sunday services, in keeping with weekly worship plans and themes.
- Accompany congregational singing
- Accompany the Chancel Choir, including rehearsals
- Accompany and rehearse with soloists as requested
- Assist the accompanists and/or accompany various choirs and ensembles as requested
- Have the option to play for weddings and funerals for additional compensation
- Periodically record hymn accompaniments for use in virtual worship
- In consultation with the DMWA and Chair of the Trustees, arrange for service and upkeep of the organ and pianos
The Organist is a highly accomplished musician who possesses a spirit of collegiality, compassion, and cooperation. The Organist has a heart for ministry, and a love of God.
In addition, the Organist:
- is flexible and adapts to last minute changes
- is flexible and adapts to last minute changes
- has a positive attitude
- has a high level of personal and professional integrity
- works collegially with staff, musicians, colleagues and laity
- has a focus on quality and is committed to excellence
- is punctual
Education and Skills:
- Degree in music (M.M. degree preferred; B.Mus. or B.A. in music acceptable in combination with experience and demonstrated excellence)
- Strong experience and expertise in playing church music
- Part-time salaried position
- Hours include two Sunday morning worship services and Thursday evening Chancel Choir rehearsals
- Option of playing for weddings and funerals for additional compensation
- Special services could include (but are not limited to): Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Memorial Communion (November), Thanksgiving Community Meal (November), Blue Christmas (December), Christmas Eve
- Actual weekly working hours of the Organist shall be coordinated with and approved by the Director of Music and Worship Arts (DMWA).
BUMC is a community of people transformed by God’s love, journeying together to make Christ’s love known in the world. We seek to build a community without boundaries where there is a place at God’s table for all persons so that all can be fed – body, mind and spirit. BUMC is an inclusive and welcoming congregation. A growing, multi-generational church in the northwest Suburbs of Chicago, our church currently has two Sunday services, both blended style, featuring liturgy, hymns, Chancel Choir, organ and a praise band. All of our services maintain historic patterns of worship while creating experiences that are authentic, relevant and engaging. BUMC’s Music and Worship Arts ministry utilizes a variety of choirs, ensembles and instrumental groups, and volunteer arts and support teams to enhance our worship experiences. Our staff, ministry teams, and congregation are dedicated to excellence in worship and to thoughtful, intentionally-designed worship services that create opportunities to encounter the living God. See the website (www.barringtonumc.com) for additional details on the church’s ministry.
BUMC is at the administrative and operational center of a unique partnership of two Methodist churches, and includes an additional campus with a Hispanic focus in worship, fellowship, and outreach. The collaboration of congregations from diverse communities, different cultures and different economic bases in relationship with one another and working together, strengthens each of the congregations to reach more people than any one church could do on its own. BUMC offers a preschool and kindergarten (Noah’s Ark Christian Academy) during the school year that is open to the community.
The BUMC music ministry includes a traditional adult choir, a contemporary ensemble, an organist, flute ensemble, and handbell choir. The congregation includes many talented musicians who play occasionally in services or accompany musical groups. A professional brass ensemble usually plays at Easter.
The 3-manual Wicks organ at BUMC includes 24 ranks of pipes and 25 digital voices with
pre-engineered space to accommodate real pipe ranks in the future. A great asset to the organ is the lively acoustical environment of the sanctuary, a beautiful combination of organ and room. The organ was refurbished in 2021 with comprehensive cleaning of the reeds and additional pipe repair. An organ fund was established to maintain it in the future.
We also have a Yamaha S6 grand piano, two Yamaha GC1 grand pianos, one other upright piano, 2 Yamaha MOXF8 weighted 88-key keyboards, and 5 octaves Schulmeric handbells and handchimes.
SALARY Based on experience and expertise and competitive with similar positions in the area.
VACATION Four Sundays off each year.
APPLICATIONS Applications should consist of the following:
- Letter of application, which should include a summary of education, technical skill, call to ministry, philosophy of collaboration, communication practices, and organizational techniques1. Letter of application, which should include a summary of education, technical skill, call to ministry, philosophy of collaboration, communication practices, and organizational techniques
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- High quality video of organ and piano performance, across a variety of musical styles. Please upload video materials to a YouTube private channel for use of the BUMC search process only. To create an unlisted posting:
a. Create a YouTube account if you do not have one (www.youtube.com)
b. Begin the upload process of the video from your computer
c. In the dropdown menu that is set to “Public” as a default, choose “Unlisted”
d. Enter in any information you want in the description
e. Click “Publish”
4. Screening of candidates will begin immediately and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Expected start date is June 1, 2023, but sooner if possible.
5. Letters of recommendation and written permission to contact references may be requested at a later time. References should include at least one former supervisor.
6. Application materials should be sent by March 15, 2023 to:
Director of Music and Worship Arts Search Committee Barrington United Methodist Church
98 Algonquin Rd
Barrington IL 60010, or to
Date updates: 01/24/2023